Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Second Entry

How different is your modern culture from the sawi tenants?

My modern culture is very different from the Sawi tenants, yet, it is very similar. Obviously people do not highly value treachery or practice cannibalism in my culture; however, we are very similar in the fact that we practice our aspects of culture the way they best suit our ways of living. It is not surprising to me that people from other cultures like mine see how Sawies practice cannibalism as a part of their culture and think it is inhumane. It is because to those people, eating another human being is simply outrageous. Nonetheless, I observe it likewise to my culture being disdained by other cultures for eating dog meat. Personally, I have not eaten dog meat before and I am not planning to do so; however, this does not alter the fact that other people in my culture still would or would not continue to eat dog meat. Eating dog meat just became a part of our culture just as cannibalism became a part of Sawi's culture. At this point, people of one culture should not be so judgemental about the aspects of other cultures because not only do they not have any right to judge one culture, but there are some aspects of their culture, which may seem bizarre or inhumane to others as well. Terrorists, for example, make their religion, which is one aspect of their culture, an excuse for their butchery of a myriad of innocent people, when it is seemed only as a massacre in the perspectives of the rest of the world.

No comments: